Truck accidents are a serious problem in Georgia. In 2020, there were over 10,000 truck accidents in the state, resulting in over 1,000 fatalities and over 20,000 injuries.
If you have been injured in a truck accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. However, filing a truck accident claim can be complex and time-consuming. It is important to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
An attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options and can represent you in a claim for damages.
What to Do After a Truck Accident
If you are involved in a truck accident, there are a few things you should do immediately:
Stay at the scene of the accident. Do not move your vehicle unless it is unsafe to remain in its current location.
Call the police and report the accident. The police will create a report of the accident, which will be important evidence in your claim.
Seek medical attention. Even if you do not feel injured, it is important to see a doctor as soon as possible. Injuries from truck accidents can sometimes be delayed, so it is important to get checked out by a medical professional.
Take pictures of the accident scene. This includes pictures of the damage to your vehicle, the damage to the other vehicles involved in the accident, and any other evidence that may be relevant to your claim.
Get the names and contact information of the other drivers involved in the accident, as well as the names and contact information of any witnesses.
What to Expect After a Truck Accident
After a truck accident, you may be contacted by the insurance company for the truck driver who was at fault. The insurance company will likely try to offer you a settlement. However, it is important to remember that the insurance company is not on your side. They are only interested in minimizing their own liability.
You should not accept any settlement from the insurance company without first speaking with an experienced personal injury attorney. An attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options and can negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf.
What Damages Can You Recover in a Truck Accident Claim?
If you have been injured in a truck accident, you may be entitled to recover a variety of damages, including:
- Medical expenses: This includes the cost of your medical care, such as doctor’s visits, hospital stays, and prescription medications.
- Lost wages: If you have been unable to work due to your injuries, you may be entitled to recover lost wages.
- Pain and suffering: This includes the physical and emotional pain and suffering you have experienced as a result of the accident.
- Property damage: If your vehicle was damaged in the accident, you may be entitled to recover the cost of repairs or the fair market value of your vehicle.
- Wrongful death: If a loved one was killed in a truck accident, you may be entitled to recover damages for their wrongful death.
How Much Does a Truck Accident Claim Cost?
The cost of a truck accident claim will vary depending on the severity of your injuries and the amount of damages you are seeking. However, you should expect to pay some fees and expenses, including:
- Attorney’s fees: An attorney’s fees will vary depending on the complexity of your case and the amount of damages you are seeking. However, most personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis, which means that you will not owe any fees unless you recover money in your case.
- Expenses: In addition to attorney’s fees, you may also be responsible for paying for certain expenses, such as the cost of medical records and expert witness fees.
How Long Does It Take to Settle a Truck Accident Claim?
The length of time it takes to settle a truck accident claim will vary depending on the complexity of your case and the willingness of the insurance company to negotiate. However, most truck accident claims are settled within a few months.
If the insurance company is not willing to negotiate a fair settlement, you may need to file a lawsuit. This can add several more months to the process.
Our Firm Is Here To Help
If you have been injured in a truck accident, it is vital to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney like our team at Rebecca Kay Sapp Law Firm. Contact us today for a free consultation.